148-8 Does a Raster-Based Soil Survey for an Updated Product Make Sense for the Future of Soil Survey?.
Poster Number 1202
1) Analyze the pros/cons of generating Standard NASIS Interpretations of SSURGO when coupled with external raster data like slope, aspect, climatic, etc.
2) If raster products are pursued, delivery systems like Web Soil Survey, Soil Data Viewer, CDSI etc. would need the ability to handle raster data as smoothly as they handle vector data
3) Need an Interpretation generator outside of NASIS---No provisions for raster data in NASIS database
4) Development of a Standards Document – to start in CY2015
5) Work on Definitions as part of Standards
6) Justification to NRCS Leadership for Raster Data and interpretations
7) NSSC testing of interpretations from raster products
8) Develop minimum data needs for national and data acquisition priorities
There is a plan to continue and repeat these Workshops in 2015 and 2016 regionally in the North Central, West and South to better conceptualize the threats and opportunities for this paradigm shift and potential new direction in Soil Survey.