Women in Science Workshop on Leadership/Reception (ACS526).
The workshop will involve presentations by Michael S. Seaver (an executive coach and leadership consultant from Seaver Consulting LLC), a group activity, and an in-depth look at leadership best practices. It includes material about the seven styles of leadership, building trust through meaningful relationships, and inspirational stories of successful leaders. Reception and round table discussion will follow the presentation.The objectives of the session are to:
- Allow participants to gain career advice and insight into leadership opportunities in the societies.
- Provide a unique opportunity for students to network with established scientists and tri-society leadership.
The workshop will cover:
- Styles of Leadership - Michael will share information about and examples of the seven styles of leadership - charismatic, participative, situational, transactional, transformational, quiet, and servant - and facilitate a group activity where respective groups are assigned a specific style and are asked to describe certain personality traits of that leadership style.
- Building Relationships - Michael will share trust-building best practices that attendees can take away and implement rapidly. After the lecture, attendees will be split into groups to brainstorm specific methods for opening lines of communication, managing time, sharing resources, and more.
- Inspirational Leaders’ Stories - Michael will provide examples of successful women and share insights into milestones along their respective journeys. Case studies about how diversity benefits organizations may also be referenced.
Approved for 2.5 PD CEUs